5 replies to this topic

#1 Computerpro2

Computerpro2

Superior Member

• Management
  • 345 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

[Windows 7 Spotlight!] Customize the Windows 7 Logon Background

Although this feature is designed for PC manufacturers to "brand" the Windows 7 Logon with their logo with what is at times an elegant background or simply display a different background instead of using the default logon background imagery. I find that this small enhancement in Windows 7 a step in the right direction toward allowing consumers the ability to customize Windows to give it a personal touch.

To customize the Windows 7 Logon background we will need to do a couple of things which I will document below. But first, we need to cover a couple of much needed requirements:

1.Images must be less than 256kb in order to work with this feature.
2.Images must be in JPEG format.

If customization is enabled, you will need to create or alter the background you would like to use to fit your primary monitor's screen height and width. First of all, we will need to create a default background image; this image will be used if a specific resolution background cannot be found.

Below is a list of the images and the respective width x height ratios are supported:
backgroundDefault.jpg
background768x1280.jpg (0.6)
background900x1440.jpg (0.625)
background960x1280.jpg (0.75)
background1024x1280.jpg (0.8)
background1280x1024.jpg (1.25)
background1024x768.jpg (1.33-)
background1280x960.jpg (1.33-)
background1600x1200.jpg (1.33-)
background1440x900.jpg (1.6)
background1920x1200.jpg (1.6)
background1280x768.jpg (1.66-)
background1360x768.jpg (1.770833-)

To enable this feature and customize your Windows Welcome screen background do the following:

Open notepad and copy and paste the following code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background]
"OEMBackground"=dword:00000001

Once you've copied the above code into notepad, save it as "Enable Logon Background Customization.reg" or something similar. When saving it, make sure to change the "Save type as" to "All Files" otherwise you will end up with a text document with a name like "Enable Logon Background Customization.reg.txt" and that's not what we want.
Once the registry file has been saved, we will have to import it into the registry to do this we will simply right-click on our new registry file and select "Merge" and in the "Registry Editor" dialogue box that shows up, click "Yes".

Then in the "Registry Editor" confirmation box, click "OK" to close the box, after that, the feature is enabled.
Now that we've enabled the feature, we will need to create a couple of folders, we will use command prompt for this, since it is faster than creating each folder separately.

Creating the Backgrounds Folder:
Open command prompt and run it as Administrator and then type the following:

mkdir %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds

If successful, your command prompt window should look like this:
Administrator CWindowssystem32cmd.exe.png

Now we can open our newly created folder, to do this, we can type the following into the start menu's search box:

%windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds

Once you've typed the above into the start menu's search box, you can hit enter and it will open the folder location to our "backgrounds" folder.
This folder is used to store the images we mentioned earlier in this article. Now you can copy your image(s) into the folder and Windows will automatically select the correct one for your primary monitors screen resolution.

Again, you must at least have "backgroundDefault.jpg" in the folder to make this work and remember the image cannot be larger than 256kb in size.
That's it, you've just enabled the customization of your Windows logon background, you can now start creating images and placing them into the folder using the names mentioned earlier.
William Johnson - Winxperts Administrator - Xbox Live Gamertag: Computerpro2 - Twitter:@Computerpro2

#2 DJD

DJD

God

• Management
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Technology and driving my Mini.

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Man thats a lot easier then in the good old XP daysPosted Image
No shit Sherlock!

#3 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

You've inspired me to get off my ass and sort my Welcome Screen. Cheers Bill :) Nice Guide!

#4 Computerpro2

Computerpro2

Superior Member

• Management
  • 345 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

Man thats a lot easier then in the good old XP daysPosted Image

Yes it is, I hated having to go through all that work! This is a lot simpler and you don't have to mess with system files. Granted you still have to if you want to customize your theme further than what's possible in Windows 7.

Now I enable and customize my background when I install Windows with the use of a custom Windows DVD (I import the registry file, create the directory and then copy the images [all from the DVD] and when Windows finishes installing I have my logon already customized -- one day I may do a guide on this subject).

Karl, Get on it man! Start using Windows 7 the way it's meant to be used! lol
William Johnson - Winxperts Administrator - Xbox Live Gamertag: Computerpro2 - Twitter:@Computerpro2

#5 daniellehudges

daniellehudges

• 1 posts
  • Interests:computer, internet, gadgets, book, car

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:32 AM

Oh, thanks for sharing this. I was just having a problem on this since I'm kinda lazy doing those might as well applied them to. Maybe it would be more and a lot better to use the default one. One thing more, I'm gonna switch to XP since Windows 7 is kinda slow compare to XP.

#6 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

I personally found Windows 7 to be better but its each to their own and it depends on your Hardware and preference :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows 7 Tweak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users