USB drive

Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tajadi

tajadi

• 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:51 AM

I would like to trick users using Windows Vista to believing they are copying to a flash drive. I want them to access the drive without any problem and copy file to the drive as they wish. However, if the drive is removed and later inserted to the USB port, they should not be able to see or access those files again. If they repeat the copying as many time as they wish, I want the result to be the same. What I mean here again, they should be able to copy and see the file copied into the drive but the file would not save on the drive immediately it is removed without error to the user. How could I achieve the task.

#2 Computerpro2

Computerpro2

Superior Member

• Management
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

There is no way to do what you want to do. There is no way to know if the user is even going to use the same USB Flash Drive let alone reinsert in the computer after the data has been copied.

If data protection is a problem, you should really reevaluate things and lock things down even tighter than they are now.
William Johnson - Winxperts Administrator - Xbox Live Gamertag: Computerpro2 - Twitter:@Computerpro2

#3 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Unfortunately you cannot do that. If you use the group policy administrative templates however, you can disable everything from Copy & Paste, Right Click, drag and drop but most importantly if you edit the settings of file shares and limit what is accessible through group policy, you can make the system completely secure (unless they really know what they are doing).

If you only have one PC, you could install Server - setup Active Directory and simply add users to the Server Operator group. (as far as i remember that is the one). - Not recommended really but it works.

#4 DJD

DJD

God

• Management
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Technology and driving my Mini.

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

Why would you want to trick them? We already told you how you can prevent people from copying data to USB storage devices here: http://www.forums.wi...1335-usb-ports/
If thats not enough i suggest you go to your local hardware-store get some silicone kit and inject that in the USB portsPosted Image, make sure it doesn't get on any other components.
No shit Sherlock!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vista

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users