• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

You may find Modern UI Apps aren't loading, installing or updating in Windows 8. There are a few simple solutions that should work.

Firstly run the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter. This resolves most problems.

Download it

Windows Firewall

If the troubleshooter fails to work, it may be worth checking that the Windows Firewall is enabled, as Windows 8 Apps depend upon it. 

1. Press Windows Key + X, Click Run
  2. Type Services.msc and Press OK
  3. In Services, Scroll down to Windows Firewall
  4. Check that it's set to 'Automatic' and if it's not already running, press Start.

Other Options

Some have found their issues solved by:

Press Windows Key + X and click 'Command Prompt Admin'

Type the following:

net stop wuauserv - Press Enter

rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old - Press Enter

net start wuauserv - Press Enter

#2 zanzibari

zanzibari

• 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

After upgrading from Windows 7 to 8, all worked well for a while. I was able to choose and add apps that I wanted without any problem. Yesterday tried to add an app which failed. I also noticed that there are 10 updates available and everytime I try to get the updated I get a failure warning.

I have run the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter but I still have the same problem.

The Windows Firewall is on automatic and running.

When I try to rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old I get access denied.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

#3 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 688 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Firstly did you restart after running the troubleshooter? If not, run it then restart.

To be able to rename that file you must make sure that the windows update service is actually disabled and that you are running the Command Prompt as Admin. It could be that this command is failing to stop the service - net stop wuauserv  -

You could try: Press Windows Key + R and type in services.msc and scroll down to Windows Update. Stop and disable the service there.

Now try renaming the software distribution file again using the command provided above OR alternatively through explorer. Go to C:\windows, find and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwaredDistribution.old

If you still cannot rename it the only remaining this is that you just don't have permission to access it. You need to take ownership of the folder within windows. There is a handy registry mod that will let you do this HERE

Once you've installed that Registry Mod, you can right click the SoftwareDistribution folder and click 'Take Ownership'. If this fails, try the same within safe mode. 

Remember to re-enable windows update in services.msc AFTER. 

There are other causes to this problem, just to make it even more complicated. Some 3rd Party Firewalls can interfere with the Apps stopping them updating such as Kaspersky. 

LAST RESORT: Refresh Your PC - Last Resort short of doing a full reinstall. If you haven't got a legitimate copy of windows, this may change your activation status. 

#4 vkrnt

vkrnt

• 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

i am running window 8 pro activated by kms activater....but two days before its apps suddenly stops working when i was updating some of the apps saying " cant load the page". please help me with this problem. thnks.

#5 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

mmm quite possibly a firewall issue i think

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 8, windows store, apps, solution, metro ui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users