• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 martin

martin

Established Member

• Management
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

The tech preview of windows 10 is now available http://windows.micro...windows/preview

• Karl likes this

#2 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:36 AM

• Seems to be running well even on a virtual machine
  • You can import settings from previous installation of Windows
  • Multiple Desktops and improved Task Switching
  • Improved Store App
  • Start Menu resembles the one found in Vista/7 with a tile-based interface similar to the Start Screen from Windows 8.x

Attached Thumbnails

• internet explorer.jpg
  • mdesktops.jpg
  • start.png
  • store.jpg
  • task.jpg

#3 DJD

DJD

God

• Management
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Technology and driving my Mini.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

Might check it out when I upgrade Ubuntu on my desktop, Windows 10 looks really nice!
No shit Sherlock!

#4 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

It's very nice. I was a bit unsure about the whole meshing together of the two UI Styles but it does actually work well and the addition of multiple desktops definitely a welcome improvement, Linux had it for years!

#5 DJD

DJD

God

• Management
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Technology and driving my Mini.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

You know Windows 10 kind of reminds me of early day Longhorn builds, UI wise.

No shit Sherlock!

#6 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

I was concerned that Microsoft had lost credibility by making its biggest change to Windows by killing off the Start-Menu, only to be forced to bring it back. Now however i'm of the opinion that Microsoft is heading in the right direction. 

Windows 8 was a disaster. One can't help but remember the number of people confused by the lack of a Start Button, finding it difficult to shut down their computer because this function was practically hidden. 

Granted, Windows 8.1 brought with it some substantial improvements, but this release only seemed to draw attention to the fact that Windows was now more difficult to use and that Microsoft would have to do something drastic to restore faith in Windows.

I think it's fair to say that people feel like they are using two separate operating systems at times. While explorer and Modern UI coexist, the two rarely if ever seem to interact. Users have voiced frustration that Modern UI apps lack the options, preferences and sub-menus that enriched their experience.

We can see at last there are efforts being made to introduce some UI consistency. One subtle change one might notice is that the file explorer icon appears flatter with a gradient free look. If this change is introduced across the board, it will surely help ease the transition when switching from Modern UI to traditional explorer menus.

It seems Microsoft has spent time improving and tweaking apps too, trying to make using the Modern UI more productive and hopefully beneficial.

In the Windows 10 Technical Preview, not only can apps be closed (as in Windows 8.1) by clicking the familiar cross in the top right hand corner, these applications can run in an adjustable window instead of just full screen, meaning that they behave like any other program and users can multitask easier.

The Start Screen was in my opinion very good, but I can understand why some felt put off by its size and behaviour because it would overlay everything you were doing and it felt as if you were being cut off from the rest of your PC. The Start Menu has returned, but with the benefits of the Start Screen. Users can still add tiles to the Start Screen and expand its size as necessary. A massive step forward!

Microsoft wishes to redefine our experience as an end-user without alienating any more people. Windows 10 does look extremely promising and it should appeal to those who were reluctant to try Windows 8.

#7 martin

martin

Established Member

• Management
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:34 PM

Finally managed to get my laptop back to its normal state. Installed a new partition so all that is left is to install the beast which i will be doing later.

#8 Karl

Karl

Missing In Action

• Management
  • 695 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:30 AM

Fantastic, let us know what you think of Windows 10 Martin :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users