- - - - -

Tech Net Subscription

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jetkat

jetkat

• 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

I want to start using a licensed version of windows 7 on several of my PCs.

I don't really understand what a subscription to Tech Net will give me...

How many window 7 licenses?
Can a license be used on say a desktop and a notebook?
How long are the licenses valid?
Are the licenses as good as buying a boxed version after Oct 22nd?
How many PC's can I put them on?

Does the other software work the same as Windows 7 say?

and anything else to clear it up...

Thanks to all for any information!

Jetkat :P

#2 atsaunier

atsaunier

Admin-Owner

• Management
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Trying to get in touch with a fellow admin who would be able to answer this for you :)

#3 Ping

Ping

Pat Says...

• Elite
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hi there, generally MSDN licences are for companies to Develop software for products they can download and TechNet is generally for testing and for trialling software in an environment (they basically just have different licence agreements).

How many window 7 licenses?

I think it may depend on your subscription, for my developer sub I get a licence key for EVERY version of 7 that can be ACTIVATED 10 times - meaning activation on 10 individual PC's. You get a key for 32 and 64 bit so essentially you get a licence key for every version of 7 and one for each type of processor. you also get every OS before 7 (all the way back to windows 1.0)

Can a license be used on say a desktop and a notebook?

Yes

How long are the licenses valid?

I am pretty sure they are valid for the length of your subscription, but if they are already in use then its still fine (you may need to check if the ones you have not used are not valid as I am not 100%)

Are the licenses as good as buying a boxed version after Oct 22nd?

Most defiantly, the only thing you dont get is a box - but you will get instant download when ever you want.

Does the other software work the same as Windows 7 say?

Yes

It must be noted that if you buy a subscription and a new product comes out (such as Office 14) - you will also get access to it...they add new products as they come out.

I hope this helps,

Regards,
Patrick (Ping)

#4 Computerpro2

Computerpro2

Superior Member

• Management
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

As Ping stated previously and as a previous TechNet subscriber I can tell you that you can activate up to 10 PCs using a single license. Ultimately, you can have up to 10 licenses per product edition (i.e. You can have up to 10 licenses for Windows 7 Ultimate which will allow you to activate up to 10 PCs on a single license and activate up to 100 PCs as per the 10 licenses you can claim). However, you do not get a license for x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) as previously stated, you will only be allowed 10 licenses no matter what processor architechure you choose be it 64-bit or 32-bit.

What you need to know about after your subscription has expired is that only Subscribers with active subscriptions can download products and claim product keys, so you will not be able to download products after your Subscription has expired.

You will be able to view Product Keys you had claimed while your Subscription was active, but you will not be able to claim new keys. In order to access your prior claimed keys, you will have to Sign in to Live ID using the account and Subscription information that you had used to access your subscription benefits and claim those keys.

NOTE: Based on program and agreement restrictions, some expired Volume License subscribers are not currently entitled to view their previously claimed keys.

So essentially, even after your subscription has expired you will be able to continue to use your keys that you have claimed, however, you will not be able to claim new keys without renewing your subscription or buying another subscription. There is a short period of time after your subscription has expried where you will be able to download and claim new licenses, I cannot remember how long it ran off the top of my head.

I hope this answers your questions, feel free to ask us if you have any further questions regarding a subscrption to either TechNet or MSDN.
William Johnson - Winxperts Administrator - Xbox Live Gamertag: Computerpro2 - Twitter:@Computerpro2

#5 Ping

Ping

Pat Says...

• Elite
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for fixing up my mistakes - I even learnt something :P

#6 Computerpro2

Computerpro2

Superior Member

• Management
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

I was wrong about the 100 PC activation on a single license, I meant to say that you can activate up to 100 PCs using the 10 licenses you can claim. So it's 10 PCs on a single license, not 100 as I previously stated. I wasn't thinking right when I wrote that, I guess thats what happens when you stay up too late.
William Johnson - Winxperts Administrator - Xbox Live Gamertag: Computerpro2 - Twitter:@Computerpro2

#7 Chris H11

Chris H11

Established Member

• Established
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

I was wrong about the 100 PC activation on a single license, I meant to say that you can activate up to 100 PCs using the 10 licenses you can claim. So it's 10 PCs on a single license, not 100 as I previously stated. I wasn't thinking right when I wrote that, I guess thats what happens when you stay up too late.

Wait, you can activate up to 10 per license? I thought they were single-license keys
Posted Image

#8 Computerpro2

Computerpro2

Superior Member

• Management
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

That's correct Chris, you can activate up to 10 PCs per license.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users